About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Does Size REALLY Matter?

I hate shopping for new clothes.  It sucks.  I'm a t-shirt and elastic waistband-pants kind of girl, especially after living in maternity clothes for 9 months and military uniforms for the better part of 7 years now.  Since having my daughter, I've lost all my baby weight plus about 18 pounds.  I'm looking to lose another 20 pounds, will happy with 15, but it's more likely to be 10 because I eat cookies for breakfast. 

But now, I have no idea what size I am.  So that means endlessly trying on clothes.  And wouldn't you know it, there's no standard size 12 or size 14.  In every store it's different.  Some stores make me feel good, some stores make me feel like a whale.  And I hate being in front of that dreaded mirror with that "tell me no lies" mirror. 

I can remember being younger and fitting into everything from a 4 to an 8 depending on the store.  Talk about a major size difference!!!!  No wonder why women have issues with body image.  Clothing stores and designers are sabotaging our self-esteem!

What's worse is that after having my daughter and spending so much time (and money) on clothes for her, I've realized this siege of the size starts when you're literally an infant.  Some 0-3 month clothes didn't fit until a full month in.  And some of the 3 month clothes stopped fitting after 2.5 months.  Some of the 3-6 month clothes already stopped fitting and she's 4 months old.  It's just insane.

What's crazier is I can hold something up and say, yup, it'll work.  Or no, not yet or it'll fit in a month.  Too bad I can't do that with my own clothes.  See, for Elly, I don't have to worry about fat pooches hanging out, or the dreaded back fat droop, or dun dun DUN! the thunder thigh bulge!  She's just excited when she lands her hand in her mouth, and doesn't care if she has a muffin top over her diaper. 

I on the other hand, care about my muffin top. (It's not over a diaper... yet, thank god).  I care about my back fat and my pooch, courtesy of Elly.  And I care to not look like I'm a sausage in whatever I pick up off the rack.  So I guess size really does matter. 

I'm pretty content with my current size now.  Anything less will just be a bonus.  I'll keep telling myself that so I can keep eating cookies for the most important meal of the day. 

Until later
~Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment