About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Best worst decision ever

I've made some bad decisions in life.  Any of my high school photos can tell you I don't know how to style my hair. I typically make dinner decisions based off what would best be topped by cheese, not by what's best for my waist line.

But the decision I've made recently is easily the best worst decision ever.

Abby (my BFF) made a bold decision to get motivated and organize a team to run the Marine Corps Marathon this year for the organization she works for. She was apprehensive and gung-ho all at once.  I mean, she's a Marine vet and has run the MCM once before.  It was the organizing a team of 25 people to come out and run in honor of Disabled American Veterans PLUS running a marathon that was daunting for her. 

So I did what every best friend does and said, "Sure! I'll help you."

Somehow (my memory is a little fuzzy how this happened) we got from "That's so exciting! I'm all about helping you organize the team and finding runners," to "Hey! Why don't I run it with you?"

Yeah. I decided to run the Marine Corps Marathon... just like that.

How does that even fucking happen? I HATE running.  In fact, some of my most popular blogs talk about how much I really hate running.  Like really, really hate it.

So why not go ahead and decide I want to run 26.2 fucking miles.  Psssh! No big deal.

Then I started to think about the people I've seen running the MCM when I cheered on Abby. I saw tons of disabled veterans running.  I saw a double-amputee running.  I saw a couple blind guys running it.  I saw guys juggling and girls in tutus. I saw thousands and thousands of others out there running it like it was no big deal.  All in support of the Marine Corps and the sacrifices service members and veterans have made.

That's when I realized that if they can all do it, so could I. I have no excuse in the world big enough to get me out of it.  Because if a guy without legs can run 26.2 miles, then my fat ass needs to get out there and suck it up. 

It helps that I'm running to bring awareness to others about DAV and what they do to support veterans.  It also helps that Abby will be there to support me. And it also really helps when the MCM public affairs team posts videos like this that make me cry and motivate me to do it. Because honestly, I can, I just need to get off my ass and do it already.

So from now until Oct. 27, please expect plenty of bitching and complaining updates about running to go along with the crazy crap Elly does. And if you'd like to travel to the D.C. area to support me along the way, feel free.  Because honestly, I'm going to need it!!!




Linking up this week with Yeah Write. It's a great community for writers who blog and bloggers who write.





12 comments:

  1. Woo. Yay for you. I've never run the Marine Corps. I think it's awesome that you are helping your friend. And you were right. How could you talk other people into doing something (a huge commitment) if you didn't have the gumption to sign on yourself. Bravo. You'll be glad you did. Maybe not mile 18 of a training run, but after it's over. It's something no one can take away from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on running-can't stand it. But I also agree that I really have no excuses. I respect that you are doing something you don't like to support a good cause. At least you have time to train. Be careful and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BEST/WORST EVER...great decision!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew, brave girl! I don't even HATE running, but I know a marathon is out of my league.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your training! I'll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I've never run a marathon nor do I intend to, but I'm in awe of people that do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I plan my dinners the same way you do, but I'll never run a marathon. Good luck with your training. Who knows, you might find a new favorite hobby in running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the anti-runner but what an amazing way to show support and bring awareness to DAV! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you do have gumption. Cheers to success. I hate running too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I despise running too, but thank you for supporting our troops and veterans.

    CAPT Joe Cereola, USN (Ret)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck to you! I love running but I'm bad at it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Proud of you! That is really tough stuff. Hope the training goes well and that you can keep all those people in mind that you mentioned here as inspirations!

    ReplyDelete