About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Friday, September 16, 2011

The Meaning of Mom

Mom, mommy, mama, mother, mum... It all means the same thing. They all refer to the woman responsible for raising you.

Moms come in all shapes, sizes and forms. Most moms have given birth to their kids, but not all moms have to. Some women raise kids that aren't theirs, but still care for them as if they are. I'd call those women heroes. (Anyone willing to take on someone else's kid needs a medal!) Either way, it doesn't really matter how you became a mom, it still means the same thing. 

If there's one thing I've learned in the last 6.5 months, it's that being a mom is seriously hard work! And what's really crazy is this is ONLY THE BEGINNING! It only gets harder from here folks. FML. (Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take back a second of it and Elly is easily the best thing I've ever done in my life!)

If you look up what MOM means in the dictionary, you just simply get a woman who raises a child.  I find that to be completely lame.  So here's what I've got so far as to what being a MOM means:

Incubator
Milk maid/ dairy cow
Storyteller
Human paper towel
Sherpa
Pacifier
Photographer
Disciplinarian
Magician
Short-order cook
Hostage Negotiator
Baker
Guidance counselor
Taxi driver
Caregiver
Alarm clock
Telephone operator
Maid
Zookeeper
Mediator
Endless ATM/ Money tree
White noise
Fashion consultant
Listener
Mathematician
Seamstress
Fortune teller
Diaper gene
Teacher
Firefighter
Coach
Party planner
Nag
Confidant
Doctor
Back scratcher
Hair stylist
Personal assistant/ Scheduler
Instruction manual
Travel guide
Toy/ jungle gym
Scout leader


It reads more like a job listing than a definition.  I think it's because ultimately, mom's really have to do it ALL.  Not that dad isn't there to help here and there, but when your kid is crying in the middle of the night, dad isn't likely to hear a thing (or at least Stoofy doesn't!).  But mom, she doesn't sleep a wink, so she can be there in a flash if needed.

2 comments:

  1. I would agree fully that it just gets harder - - so sorry, but it is true! Especially with girls. I would add therapist, pillow, and tailor to the list. You are doing great, and you will continue to do great! Just think how WONDERFULLY cute the little Daisy uniform is gonna look!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. add friend :) i look at my mom more as a friend now. that's what happens when the babies grow up!

    ReplyDelete