About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Queen Looking for a King

Sleeping is a time for stretching in my house. We (I mean the female we's in the house) like to sleep as starfish as possible.

My daughter still sleeps the same way she did when I was pregnant with her... Stretched out as far as she can go. However, now she's only restricted by the walls of her crib, not the walls of my uterus or my rib cage.

Even the dog who sleeps curled up in a ball for most of the night tries to gain a little more tail room by wiggling her boney ass in an attempt to wedge me from my designated sleeping area. (She usually gets kicked out for this infraction.)

This in turn means I start to encroach on Stoofy's space. Basically at the end of the night, he's literally on the edge of his seat and I've taken up most of the rest of the bed, minus the dog's spot at my feet.

And this violation of our bed's Monroe Doctrine is a violation of Stoofy's and my unspoken marriage vows.

I apparently vowed I wouldn't try to take over his whole life. So taking over his sleeping space kind of negates my promise.  Oops!

I can't help it.  When it's time to sleep, I need my space.  No cuddling allowed! I need room to myself to stretch out and get comfy.  I roam free, even in my sleep.  And I've passed that on to my daughter. 

It worries Stoofy to no end that he may never get to actually have space to sleep as she gets older.  Because there will inevitably be nights where the boogie man scares Elly and she finds her way into our bed for safe keeping.  And although I'd like to say I'd shoo her back to bed immediately, but I’d probably be lying.  When sleepy, I’ll give in to just about anything just to get back to my REM cycle.  So if that means letting a crying child climb in to my bed so I can get back to my dream I'll probably do it. 

In Stoofy's mind that means two starfish.  Two competing sets of arms and legs flailing around looking to occupy as much space as possible.  It concerns him to say the least.  His solution is to put his foot down and make me go back to my side. 

The really amazing thing is that when I have a smaller space to sleep in, I only occupy that much space.  But give me a bigger space, and I'll use it.  Kind of like the bigger the purse the more stuff you NEED to carry with you!

I mean, on deployment 'racks' (as we call them in the Navy) are TINY to say the least.  (I think the reason why there are weight restrictions in the Navy is because if you're too fat to get into your rack then what the hell are you going to do? You can't exactly knock out a wall to make more room!)  And I do just fine there.  I don’t' flail around.  There just isn't room for that.  You just climb in and sleep.  No moving except for the rocking of the ship. (If the ship's a rockin' don't come a knockin'! HAHAHA! That's what she said! I'm 12 this morning.)

So I feel like the only solution to this conundrum is to upgrade sleeping arrangements. 

TIME FOR A KING!

No comments:

Post a Comment