About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Friday, September 23, 2011

BFFs are AWESOME!

Today I'd like to recognize my BFF, Abby.  It's her birthday and she's pretty much AWESOME! 

She's the kind of friend that'll laugh at your jokes even if you're not that funny, help you plot your husband's murder and promise to purger herself on the stand if asked if it's premeditated, and she's willing to turn a blind eye when you're at your worst (and simultaneously best) moment of your life giving birth to your daughter.  (She'll even take pictures for you, but not the seriously gross, gory ones that freak me out.  Because NO ONE wants to relive that mess!)

She's the kind of friend that helps you stalk your favorite hockey team until midnight and won't judge you when you try to squeeze your 8 month pregnant ass out a window 5 stories up just to see if you see your dream husband boarding the tour bus.

                 (Note, that's as far as the window would open, so that's as far as I could squeeze out.)

Abby is the kind of friend that hates the same people I hate.  And helps plan their demise with me.  Because honestly, I'm a sick and twisted individual who watches too much CSI and NCIS, clearly.  But she'll hop on board without a second thought and she’ll bring the Oreos. 

She's also the kind of friend that helps you talk through all your troubles, and prays for you when you think you've just hit one of your lowest points (when in actuality, you could probably slouch even further down, but she won't let you totally tail-spin out of control with that kind of thinking).

But most importantly, she's the kind of girl that when it really counts, she's all in and there for you.  She's truly willing to risk her life for her country, beliefs, and friends.

Finding this kind of friend isn't easy.  We've found out during our years of friendship, that where we grew up isn't far from each other.  Our mothers are very similar in a lot of ways.  In fact, they have mutual friends.  Turns out we could have met sooner!

But timing is everything.

My mom and her best friend are about to celebrate their 40th anniversary as friends.  That's longer than a lot of marriages I know.  They have gone through marriages, child birth/ child rearing, divorce, long distances, pretty much everything that can test a friendship.  And through it all, they're relationship has endured.

It's truly awesome to see that.  Especially in this day and age where women being catty and getting into stupid bickering matches is what makes a top-rated TV show (don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see what happens next with the new chick on RHWofBH).  It's nice to see that's not reality everywhere.

It's that kind of endurance and longevity I pray for in my friendship with Abby.  Because without her, I have no idea who I'll laugh with when it comes time to heckle Penguins fans in Pittsburgh.  And I'm going to need someone to gossip with me when we become snow leopards in the nursing home and we're hitting on all the younger guys!



Because she's that kind of best friend.  The kind of best friend you want to have for the rest of your life.

And she's the kind of woman I hope my daughter grows into.

No comments:

Post a Comment