About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chubrub

I hate running.  No seriously, I do.  I hate running and always have.  But I've finally hit my limit of being round and would like to be less round.  The fastest way to that is by not eating brownies every day (not going to happen) or at least only eat a few a week and start exercising. 

So what did I do?  I started the couch to 5K program.  I hate it already.  But I hate being fat just a little bit more.  I haven't always been fat.  Only in the last few years (5ish) have a I really been working on packing on the L-Bs.  At least I have skinny pics of myself to look at and day dream about the days of single digit pants.  I have a physical goal I can look at and obtain.

Back to running.

Running seems to be the "in" thing.  Everyone's running.  I hate it.  But I also like to be a part of fads.  That's why I own an Iphone. 

I got my ass out of bed this morning for another day of training on the C25K thingy.  And by this morning, I mean early.  How early?  Not even the dog, who loves to run (bitch), would get up to go out with me. 

As part of my "I quit" plan, a part of wanting to run was to feel comfortable in my running clothes.  So I got some cute new, color-coordinating shorts and a shirt.  I tested the shorts out as much as you can in a dress room without falling face first into a wall or mirror.  But I thought, "cool, these will work."  Wrong.  Turns out that my fat thighs are now so fat that when I run in shorts I get chubrub.  What's chubrub?  If you don't know, you're skinny.  If you do know, then you know how much it sucks. 

I got back from my jog/walk this morning and went to go look up the crap real runners use to make sure they prevent chaffing.  Having just done some god awful running, my mind was foggy.  Instead of searching whatever it's called that runners use, I instead searched for "Astroglide." 

Uh, yeah.  So at 6 a.m. this morning my google was going nuts with lubricants best suited for another form of physical fitness.  To add to my demise, Elly woke up bright and early (but not early enough for a jog with me... SEE!  No one wants to run!) and was extra clingy.  I thought for sure she was going to have to join me in the shower if I was ever going to get ready for work.

But on the plus side, I finished another day of C25k.  And I'm signed up for my very first 5K!  I've invested the money (which I vow to stop wasting) and Abby is signed up as well (this is her fault).  It's September 8.  So stay on my ass (there's plenty of room) and make sure I don't waste my money.

But really.... I hate running.  I'm a moron.  Kill me now.




Check me out on Yeah Write.

11 comments:

  1. I started yesterday too!!! I was so stinking proud of myself. I don't know if I am willing commit to a 5K at this point, but hey a start is a start!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Ms. B! Maybe when we're both actually running, we can run (slowly) together! Let's shoot for a 5K this fall together. We can make Mr. T watch Elly.

      Delete
  2. I found this post through Yeah Write so it must be fate that you're writing about running (because I'm pretty into running...sorry). Let me just say that I'll bet just about everyone who loves running started out hating running. I've also heard it said that there are 3 stages of running: thinking about thinking about running, thinking about running and then running. So it looks like you've already made it! Congratulations! Keep it up! I'll be reading to make sure you don't quit...no pressure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's not get too excited! But I do much better when I'm held accountable for my actions. Thanks for reading and I hope you stay on my case!

      Delete
  3. My yeah write post this week is about running (See? Fad!), which I resorted to because I found myself toting around an extra sixty pounds after having a baby. Anyway, good for you! I hope you write more about it as you get closer to the 5K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you toting way too much extra weight. It's probably a sign of my love for food that I signed up for a 5K that gives you a chicken sandwhich at the end, though! Either way, I'm running and that's what matters!

      Delete
  4. Whatever motivates you! My niece is doing a half marathon for a Tiffany necklace. Ahhh the Bay Area.
    I applaud you. I don't mind running, but don't. So you are more than halfway to skinny bitch status!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best Betty! With your willpower, I believe you can achieve it in no time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I also just started running and made a post about it last week.
    I've heard great things about the couch to 5k program and I hope it works for you. Maybe you'll even enjoy it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. People keep promising a runners high, which I've yet to experience. I hate running too but find it more bearable with music. It's also the least time-sucking way to get your heart rate up - no need to go to the gym or change into a swim suit - and gets you outside with all that vitamin D. So, anyway, those are the arguments I always tell myself when I feel like right back to the couch portion of the program.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are few things I hate more than running. Since you shared a story I will as well. As a typical guy I participated in sports in school. Track, basketball, football... etc. Each one of them required some form of running (duh!). So when my high school got wrestling for the first time, I thought GREAT! I'll join wrestling. All they do is toss each other around on a mat. No more running! WRONG! I had to run in wrestling far more than any other sport, including track. Nuts!

    Good read, enjoyed it.

    Michael A. Walker
    Defying Procrastination

    ReplyDelete