About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Divorce is a bitch!

I'm the product of divorced parents.  I have been since I was about 4.  I'm also the daughter of a deadbeat dad.  Not a real big issue now, because I've accepted this and I use it as a powerful life lesson and it truly has made me a stronger woman.  I also owe that to my mom.  She's an only girl with four brothers.  She's only known how to be a woman in a man's world.  Not to mention, how to do all the guy things around the house because there wasn't a man around. 

With that as my life example, I'm a pretty well rounded woman.  I love sports and usually follow the world of athletics much more closely than my husband, Stoofy.  I'm also fully capable at assembling my own furniture from Ikea, cleaning gutters and mowing the yard.  And when I'm feeling extra tough, I even open my own jars because I'm that kind of Betty.  I'm a tough lady and I also live and work in a man's world and I do pretty well at it, if I say so myself!

I can live in the world without a man, but it's not what I choose.  I love my husband very much.  He's truly amazing and at this very moment he's across the country, working his ass off and getting things settled for our daughter and I to move out there at the end of my military service. 

The end of my military service. 

I feel like when I say that, I'm talking about a death in the family.  Or worse, the death of my marriage to the military. 

That's right.  I'm getting a divorce.  Not from my husband, but from my first husband, the military.  And divorce SUCKS! 

The initial shock of finding out my military essentially cheated on me has worn off... slightly.  And I finally got word from the admin folks, aka divorce lawyers, that my divorce settlement that I've been on pins and needles for about 6 months has come through and it's looking pretty good for me.  Now it's just a matter of some formalities (aka flaming hoops to jump through) and soon the divorce paperwork will be finalized and I can sign it and be done with it already.  The problem is, I'm still left reeling as a middle-aged divorcee. 

The military will keep trucking along and has already found a younger, hotter woman.  I on the other hand am left to pimp myself out, trying to find any ol' job that'll take me.  And I'm hurt to the core because of it.   

I know that in the end, the military will realize it's made a mistake and will come crawling back.  But until then, I'm just left hurt, bruised and battered in the wake of Change.  I hate this kind of change.  It makes my whole body hurt. 

I've decided this is the last time I get divorced.  I made sure my husband knows, and he's agreed.  Because in the end, divorce is a real bitch!

Until later
~Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment