About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Friday, May 4, 2012

Pass me a bottle...

I need a drink!  Seriously.  Wow.  I just got a major life jolt this morning.  And it sucks. 

You see, I'm plummeting head-first toward 30.  At first this wasn't a big deal to me.  And for the last few years I didn't even think it would phase me.  But the faster it approaches, the more insane I get.  I mean, I just feel old most days.

I've noticed I now listen to talk/news radio in the mornings rather than jamming to music.  I've realized that getting that bit of extra news, weather and traffic update in the morning is useful.  Listening to Fergie sing about her lumps isn't as much.

I crochet.  Which isn't a big deal.  But I do it to pass time and try and create warmer things in the house for winter time rather than spending lots of money on blankets.  It's just easier and cheaper to do make it myself.  (Plus then I'm not funding the damn Chinese take-over of America!)

I bake things from scratch like my great-grandmother did.  I complain about our country and its economy.  I try hard to be fiscally responsible because that's what adults are supposed to do.  I dread doing laundry and cleaning now because at the end of the day I'm drained.  Not because I don't like my job, but because it mentally zaps me. 

I complain about kids today.  I think and worry about investments and retirement plans.  I'm concerned about heart disease since it's a leading killer of women.  I think about how much fiber I get in my diet. 

I check my head every morning for gray hair.

I play BINGO on a Friday night.  I update my cell phone's operating software on a Saturday night. 

Clipping coupons is an exciting thing to do on Sunday morning.  And I get excited when I can match up a BOGO and store coupon on a product that's already on sale. 

I'm just flat out old!  This is how my mind works.  I never thought 10 years ago that this would be what excites me at 30.  I used to care more about what kind of car I would get to drive or what kind of glamorous parties I'd get to go to.  Not whether or not my clothes are easy to wash in case Elly splatters some crap on me at dinner.

The one thing I've always been able to hold onto through my fears of growing closer to senior citizenship was that at least I still had my hair.  And at least it wasn't gray... yet. 

Well this morning, during my morning beauty routine, I found it.  My very first gray hair.  Don't worry, I already tried to rationalize that it might be one of the few blond natural highlights I have in my medium-brown hair.  It's not. 

It's gray from the root to about two and a half inches up the shaft of the hair.  I was pretty rushed this morning, so I saved it on my vanity so I can look at it under a different light tonight when I get home.  Just to make sure. 

I haven't dyed my hair in about seven years.  I know that sounds crazy, but I really do like my natural hair color.  I've always said that I wasn't going to dye my hair until it got gray.  Well, it's about time to start thinking about what color I want.  Because by the end of the year I'll probably have a full head of salt-white hair.  I could probably go with a nice shade of blue to fit in with the BINGO crowd.  But that might be pushing it. 

One thing is for sure, I need a drink.  Just pass me a bottle.  It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's a close match to my natural color!


2 comments:

  1. Dear Betty,

    I've been coloring my hair for years. And I'm younger. And have no kids. And have never been married.

    So shut up, I hate you.

    Just kidding, I love you.

    But really, I hate you.

    XOXO
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Abby,

      I'm sorry you're old and gray. It's ok. We're one step closer to being snow leopards!

      Delete