About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pink or Blue? Does it even matter?

I work with a guy who's girlfriend is pregnant.  They decided to find out what the sex of the baby was and found out this week.  Break out the pink ribbon because it's a girl!  As exciting as that is, he's not excited.  He's moping around, sad that he's not having a boy.  Because he really, really wanted a boy.  Boo hoo.

Well guess what asshole, you get what you get!  And as my friend Abby said, ‘if you wanted to choose the sex, you should have gotten a puppy instead.’

During my pregnancy I dreamt I was having a boy.  I daydreamed I was having a boy.  And I wanted a boy.  I thought how fun it would be to watch my husband teach him how to do all sorts of awesome boy things and how rewarding it would be to teach him to be a gentleman to girls.  Plus, tutus aren't really my thing. 

But I also thought about how awesome it would be to have a little girl.  I could teach her how to be rough and tough, yet still look good in a dress.  And watch my husband get wrapped around her finger while he builds her a dollhouse and teaches her how to drive. 

In the end, I chose not to find out the sex during my pregnancy.  Because it didn't matter what came out, I was going to love it no matter what.  Plus there isn't exactly a very good return policy on it if you don't get exactly what you wanted.  And I can't even tell you how many times I heard people complain about how I wasn't finding out.

"What do you mean you're not finding out?  Aren't you curious?"  Well of course I am stupid, but that's what makes it fun!  Because there's a really good chance you're getting one or the other!  So what does it matter?

"Well how will I know what to buy you for a shower gift if I don't know what it is?" Hey dumbass, I'm registered for a reason.  Pick anything off the list and send it to me!   That's what I want and need, so that's what you should get me.

"But you'll have all this green and yellow stuff!" Yeah, so?  So did I when I was a baby because "back then" you COULDN'T find out.  And I turned out just fine!   In fact, I'm wearing a pink shirt today, so I obviously figured out what color was assigned to me because I'm a girl. Plus, there's a good chance I'm going to have more than one kid.  And if I have a boy next, I won't have to go out and buy all new stuff right away, because it's already gender neutrual!

"But I want to know!" Well guess what? You're not getting fat, puking your brains out, or getting stretch marks right now.  So you don't get to make the decision, I do!  So there!!!!

Ultimately, I'm thrilled I never knew.  When she finally came out and the doctor said 'IT'S A GIRL!' I didn't care, I was just so happy she was here and healthy.  She's now 5 months old and I couldn't imagine not having her in my life just the way she is.  She's perfect.

Until later
~Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment