About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nights of Torture

I was afraid to write this blog a few days ago.  I didn't want to jinx myself.  In fact, I'm actually still a little nervous to type what I'm about to type: my daughter finally sleeps through the night!

Now that I've put it out there, I'm sure that she'll get wind of it, figure out that she's still in control if she throws a fit, and we'll probably be back at square one tonight.  But until then, I'll just say this, Elly sleeping through the night + me sleeping through the night = SLEEP IS FUCKING GLORIOUS!!!!

I forgot how much I loved it!  I seriously forgot all about the amazing nights of sleep I used to get more than a year ago when I could just zonk out as soon as my head hit the pillow.  What's really terrible is that I took sleep for granted. (I'll never make that mistake again!)

Once I got pregnant that all changed.  I was as fat as a cow (news flash, fat cows don't sleep, they're too fat) and little did I realize then, that I would become an actual dairy cow (dairy cows don't sleep either because they're up all night making milk)! 

Last week I had a 3 day weekend.  So what better time to celebrate than to tell my daughter it's bed time so suck it up, be a big girl and CRY IT OUT!   Mom needs some sleep!

The first night was pretty much pure torture for her, me and my mom.  She woke up and screamed bloody murder.  Scream and scream and scream.  Here's your binky now shut the hell up kid! (I didn't actually say that to her, I think it was more like ssshhhh! and aldfkjosaduflkjdf adlkfjosdif because I was about 3/4ths asleep.)  She had a rough Friday and had a few naps, which is unusual for my kid. I, however, did not get a nap because mommies don't get naps. (In case you were wondering, that's also not in the baby books.)

But a funny thing happened on night two.  She only woke up twice and they weren't very long meltdowns.  Just a couple shhh's and popping the binky back in and TA DA! We've got sleep! 

And even better yet, by night three she slept all the way until 5:30 AM! Holy crap! That's like a miracle!  She's finally gotten the hang of it and I get my sleep back. 

Who knew that a few nights of torture could feel this good?! Now let's just hope she doesn't decide to punish me and stay up all night again.

No comments:

Post a Comment