About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's All About Perspective

Yesterday was not a good day. A friend, and coworker, was killed in a car accident on her way to work. She left behind a husband, daughter and countless family and friends.

As the day unfolded and more details of the senseless tragedy were discovered, I couldn't help but realize how sad, yet calm I was.

I have lost a few family members but it's always been because of age and hasn't been sudden or unexpected. I've been incredibly fortunate to not know anyone personally stricken by tragedy... Until yesterday.

Because of this I don't really know how to deal with grief. But as it turns I was very calm throughout the day. I was able to take calls and get details and pass those details on to other coworkers. I was able to keep working, though I was distracted.

It wasn't until I drove home for the evening that I broke down. That's when it really hit me. Her husband and daughter would be getting home and she wasn't going to be meeting them there. They weren't going to be eating dinner as a family. Their lives are forever changed.

And then my mind began to race. What about my Elly? What if anything were to happen to me or my husband? How would she be? And I just kept thinking of my friend's daughter, who is so young and had so much more to learn from her mom. And I just couldn't stop thinking about my friend and praying for her family.

What I've realized is that none of my normal day to day worries really even matter. What matters is spending as much quality time as possible with the people you love the most. Because you truly never know what can happen and when your world could be changed forever.

It's been a real eye-opener and has put a lot of my life into perspective.

Until later
~Betty


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment