About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Monday, August 6, 2012

Potty Etiquette

I've been reading up lots on potty training lately.  I know, most people think I'm nuts to consider my 17 month old ready to start the next major phase in her life.  Let me just tell you one thing... I don't care.  I'm so sick and tired of diapers.  I'm ready!

The number one concern obviously is whether or not Elly is ready.  God knows she's so damn head-strong that if I try to force it before she's ready I could be changing diapers for the next 10 years just so she can prove that she's more defiant than me. 

The other big topic in the world of potty training is how to get your kid excited about the whole process.  People recommend making it a game, giving rewards, singing songs, clapping, whatever.  Also included in the game is the washing your hands portion.

This is a crucial lesson for kids.  Because we all know it's tres gross to not to wash your hands after the bathroom.  Or so I thought everyone knew that.

Maybe my fascination of all things bathroom related has gotten out of hand, but I had another GTS moment in the bathroom at work today.  First of all, I can't stand small talk while I'm in there doing my thing.  It's my time, not your time.  I don't care if it looks like it's going to rain.

Second, don't stand in my way primping while I'm trying to get to a stall.  We're all in there for a common goal.  Just get out of the way already!

And third, and this is the most important one, WASH YOUR HANDS FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!  This lady did her business and just as I was walking out of the stall to the sink, she just used a squirt of hand sanitizer and walked out.  SERIOIUSLY? That's all you've got? 

Sure, hand sanitizer is important and great.  And I'm happy I have it around to use in a pinch.  But when you're standing next to an operating sink and plenty of hand soap, you lather up! 

How am I going to be able to get my kid on board with washing her hands after every potty break if there are so many other people out there doing gross and disgusting things?  Yuck! 

It makes me wonder whether this lady's mom taught her the right way or if she just got busy and couldn't be bothered by doing the encore "wash your hands after every potty break" song way back in the day.  Or maybe we've gotten so accustomed to cutting corners in life that this is just one more way to shave a few seconds off your day for more "important" things like checking email.   

If that's the case, I obviously have a long road ahead of me in training Elly in all things potty etiquette.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the potty training. I heard girls are easier then boys, and for your sake, I hope so. I tried everything under the sun. Rewards, singing, dancing, and Shaw knew what the potty was for. Just in the last few days has he started telling me he has had to go, WAHOO! The hardest part was the pooping...LOTS of dirty underpants. He HATED pooping on the potty. But we got over that too, it seems. At least for now. Like I said, good luck. Each child is different and you will find the way that easiest for Elly and for you.

    ReplyDelete