About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

New Goal, New Desire

This Sunday, Abby is running in the Marine Corps Marathon.  This will be her first and she's super nervous.  I am excited for her.  She's excited about the dunkin' donuts at mile marker 24.  We're both fat asses.  The difference is she's more willing to run to ensure it's not so obvious... unlike me.

She mentioned tonight that she would be devastated if they ran out of donuts by the time she got to mile 24.  She even threatened to quit right then and there.

My part in this marathon is to motivate her.  So what did I promise?  To make sure that there would be a batch of no-bake cookies at the finish line waiting for her. 

So while her goal is to finish the marathon, my goal is to not finish off an entire batch of cookies before she gets there. 

Now, there's no way (not even on a full out hungry day) I could finish off that many cookies.  However, that's not to say I couldn't find a way to barter with the other people sitting around waiting for their fitness-minded loved ones to finish the run.  I'm thinking 2 cookies could easily get me 30 minutes in a comfy chair.  And then I figured out what my real new goal is!

To bring you all a blog of what it's like to be at the end of the marathon waiting... Is it like a big swap meet?  Will I really be swapping my cookies for other people's services? Or will we be swapping battle stories of race spectating past?  Who knows?

What I do know is that I have no desire to run 26.2 miles.  But I will be cheering on my crazy friend who does have the desire!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with ya on the 26.2 miles thing. (Though I kinda wish I really WAS going to be with you... especially if you're bringing cookies!)
    I'll be eagerly awaiting your TALES FROM THE MARATHON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of how much experience you have swapping as a result of many years of the River Crossing. And Mackinac. Maybe you could bring some POGS and make it a real fun time! It will be great, no matter what!! :)

    ReplyDelete