About Me

My photo
I'm a working single mom who loves to write in my spare time... so bare with me when there's a lull in the blogging. It means I'm out enjoying my daughter, Elly's, crazy antics!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Networking

So I'm knee-deep in transitioning out of the military and it's a messy process.  I really could use some shit-kicking boots, because that's what I feel like I'm walking through every day.  But that's for another post.  This post is about my ability to meet new people and make sure those people know I'm looking for a job and that I'm flat out AMAZING! 

The only problem is I'm moving to a state I've only visited a handful of times.  (Hubby is from there and since he's followed me around for my military career, it's time to give him back the pants of the family and let him win this battle.)  Moral of the story is I don't know anyone there other than my family.  Cool about the family, not so cool about the I need a job and need to meet people that work in my field so I can get said job. 

So, the stress level is high, just thinking about how to meet people in Washington, when I'm in the other Washington (Read: thousands of miles apart).  But I do what I'm supposed to: I join linkedin. I tell all my friends. I go to career fairs and job fairs and county fairs.  Hell, I even tried to go to a networking breakfast this morning (event was cancelled.  Don't worry, I still had an awesome breakfast).  And with all of this, I still feel like I'm lost in the wind, I have no idea what I'm doing.  Not to mention, how the hell am I supposed to get a job like an adult when I don't know anyone???  AAAHHHH!!!

But then my very wise, almost-sister friend Abby pointed out that I'm a natural born networking girl (not to be confused with a working girl.  Although they are pretty damn good networkers!).  And then it dawned on me.  I've been networking for as long as I could say Mama.  She was my first network!  And what a great network contact she was!!!  She provided food, shelter, comfort, and Barbie dolls.  You can't ask for more from a contact, other than for a job of course. 

All my life I've been a social butterfly.  All I've ever done is talk.  In fact, my first network contact, aka Mom, hated going to my parent-teacher conferences because all she heard was "Betty's a great student, but she talks too much."  Maybe that's why I ended up in the communications field... I WAS BORN FOR IT! 

So this Betty is getting her network on, making new friends and new connections and is on the prowl.  And once I land the job of my dreams, I'll still be networking.  Because that's who I am, the networking girl.

Until later
~Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment